Voting
Voting

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cause the Whole World Needs It

Man, it is so good to be back. I feel like I blinked my eyeballs and I’m back again. Only, there’s no water to shower with…soo…we smell. But, we all smell, so no worries! The first day we met the kids for the Welcome Ceremony and then headed back to organize all of our materials! We’re decorating and organizing an “Arts and Crafts” Center, at The Guest House, to be used by the kids at the center as a “reward” for good behavior. We made some great headway on getting things going and by the end of the week…it’s going to be so great to see it all come to fruition. The rest of today was lots of logistics…taking care of plans with Quami to make sure that our arrangements have been made for all the different projects through out the week. Last night Tina had a dinner party for a few of the staff members at the center and we were able to join them! After we ate we went around the table and all shared our stories with one another. Hearing their stories and sharing our own was so incredible. It was incredibly humbling to listen to their unique willingness to be vulnerable with us. Today we experienced a full day of emotions. We started out at the Hospital where we fed bread, cheese and water to approximately 100 mothers and sat and prayed with them, went to another orphanage in Sierra Leone where we fed a little under 100 kids bread, cheese and water, donated baby dolls, a few soccer balls, left two bags of rice which can feed the kids up to 4 days and baby formula!! After that we went to Kroo Bay again to donate shin guards, jerseys, soccer balls and gave them an update on the process to help them with their soccer field. AND THERE WAS NO MOB! Laugh if you want, I was so glad and thought it was just awesome! We handed things out a little differently than last time, thanks to guidance from Quami and things ran smoothly.

This being my third trip I thought maybe I would have the routine down. But here I sit again after visiting these places and I’m in a daze of contemplation. Not surprised…but dazed. I’ve felt tears up to my neck since the last trip but have been incapable of releasing them. I have a friend back in the U.S. that I have a pretty special bond with and before I left for this trip they said to remember, “Love and Light.” It’s a common phrase we pass back and forth, but every time I hear it…it never fails to bring me comfort. It seems like a simple reminder, but one that I constantly need. Love and Light. But…let’s be honest…sometimes the darkness seems to suffocate the light, don’tcha think?

It makes me think of Firefleyes slogan, ‘Lighting the fire in hearts again.’ That statement means that somewhere along the line…someone took your light. Can someone do that? Can someone actually take the light out of someone? Definitely. Now, don’t get me wrong, we have control over how much we allow someone to affect us, but I’m talking about deep, unthinkable darkness that you feel to your core. I think we all go through periods where we feel our light and ability to love has been taken from us. We see things that are so dark…we feel like we’re drowning in it. We hear of darkness that blows our mind and makes us even wonder if we know what darkness actually is! As a result, I believe a lot of us go through our days with cynicism and negativity wrapped around our hearts even if we claim differently. Can that fire be reignited? Most certainly. But it takes hearts determined for reconciliation and healing. And unfortunately, in our world, there some extreme despicable darkness that almost seems beyond reconciliation. It’s not. It’s just not. As I hug the little bodies of the children at The Center, seeing the pure joy on their faces amidst their brokenness, watching them play, seeing a glimmer of light on a mothers face in the hospital when she smiles for a split second…they have light. They’ve experienced trials that threatened to extinguish that light. But the battle of love and light has and will continue to win.

There’s a song called “Shine Your Light” by David Crowder that says, “Shine your light so all can see it, Shine your light cause the whole world needs it.” The whole world needs it. Not just us. Everyone. These children need people to continue to show up. To be there for them. That makes sense, doesn’t it? Don’t you feel the same in your own life? Don’t you want people who know you need help to continue to be there for you? Think about it with me. Have you ever felt abandoned? Alone? Hopeless? We have a chance to show them that love has come into their lives and it is not going anywhere. It’s here to stay. My heart is overcome and once you know their stories, personalities, hearts…you’re done. It’s over. God calls you to them and says, “Shine your light cause the WHOLE WORLD needs it.” Whatever brokenness you feel in this moment I hope you will know that not only is there someone out there who loves and wants to show up for you…but there are people all over who need YOUR LOVE and LIGHT as well! Don’t let your light extinguish, other people need us ☺


Haven’t Showered Since Sunday Morning…hmmm,
Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment