Voting
Voting

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lighting the Fire in Hearts Again

Today our plans changed around a bit due to rain! But such is life in Sierra Leone! The team went to visit baby Allie this morning and Regina ended up staying at the government hospital with her for a few hours and had an unforgettable experience. Bethany and the rest of the team went back to The Covering to prepare for the Firefleyes party! Regina got back just in time to witness the CUTEST sight ever as all the kids were enjoying their presents! The fun began with a World Cup tournament and Dancing Festivities! On behalf of Firefleyes we would like to thank you all a million times for you prayers and gifts that have made this trip possible. We look forward to the future we have in our mission to light the fire in hearts again. Our trip to Sierra Leone has touched our lives in immeasurable ways and we know this is only the beginning! Below are thoughts from Bethany and Regina from the day:

Regina's Thoughts:

I've found when you encounter suffering your heart automatically grows deeper and more intimately in to a relationship with Christ. As we begin to see the suffering around us we are able to get to understand just a little of what God must feel when he sees his people suffering in this way. In binds us together in love. Francis Francois once said, “When you love God, it will not matter to you what you must suffer on his behalf. The cross will make you over in the image of your Beloved. Here is real consolation---a true bond of love.”

What do you say? My heart has really nothing to say. Last night I could not sleep just thinking about precious Allie in that hospital all by herself with no one to speak for her and get her proper care. Tina and the team gladly went back with me today to check on her. I felt so disturbed at the thought of leaving her there I chose to stay with her while the team left and went back to The Covering. Eventually, Tina and Quami (one of the head staff members at The Covering) came back and due to the situation we decided to leave but send people back to continue to check on Allie. In those 3 hours I was there I was so deeply affected I have no words to explain my experience. I never thought in my entire life I would ever experience something of that magnitude. In an instant God tied me to that child and intertwined my heart in to her well being in a way I have never experienced…and I could nothing. Nothing but hold her little hands, sing in her ears and comfort her when she cried. The difference in a child’s survival in a situation like this is the love they feel from Jesus and the people surrounding them. Allie needs that love. She needs hope. Please pray for Allie. Pray she gets fed when she is supposed to. Pray she is not subject to injustice. Pray she feels the love we all have for her. As I type through my tears…I don’t know what else to say other than…my eyes have been open and my heart has been shattered.


Bethany's Thoughts:

Since we arriaved late in Freetown because the flights on the way here were delayed we have no choice but to cut our trip short. We have packed a lot of things into the days that we have been in Sierra Leone and because of this I think I will sleep the whole way home!!! I am so grateful for this experience…. I feel so blessed for the people that God has brought into my life. I will truly miss the people of Sierra Leone and the memories and the laughs that we have shared. They have improved my life in so many ways. I will count down the days until I will get to be with them again. As I leave Sierra Leone tomorrow with my wonderful team of ladies I will be saying goodbye to a place that still needs our love and attention. These people know that we know and they are suffering. As Gods people we are called to serve one another and to see kids picking up food off the streets to eat is shameful and make me angry. Today I was riding in the car and we were stopped in traffic. A young boy came up to he window and was begging for food. We gave him a cliff bar and some money…. He was very grateful. As we began to drive on he ran after our car right next to me in the window and begged for more. I looked into his eyes and began to feel heartbroken. I was being immersed into a situation that left me helpless. I will never forget the look of the boys face of what I was feeling at that time. As we drove off I took a deep breath and prayed for God to strengthen that boy. On this trip I have learned to prioritize the things that make me most happy in life. It’s the smiles, the love, and our awesome God that keeps our hearts filled with joy and we need to constantly be reminding ourselves of that. This is what Firefleyes is all about….. bringing the little things into the lives of those who are less fortunate is what lights the fire in these hearts again and that is why firefleyes bring me such joy.

Today firefleyes put on a big party for the kids at the center. We ordered shirts that say “im a little firefleyes” and got sun glasses, cow boy hats, and bandannas for each kid. It was a western themed! Dressing those kids up in their outfites(even the tiny 2 and 3 year olds) was the CUTEST!! Oversized shirts, hats, and sunglasses on those little ones was so precious and my heart was melting!!!! We all got a good laugh in as well as the staff…. They absolutely loved it. It was awesome to see!! We played soccer, did some dancing, hit a piƱata, and had a blast. It was so much fun for the kids and I think it was a great way to end our time with them.

As I leave tomorrow I will leave my heart here. I will leave it with the people of Sierra Leone and the thousands of children still fending for themselves on the streets. I will continue to keep these people in my thoughts and prayers as well as NEVER give up fighting for them…. Please join us in our efforts and help us bring hope to the hopeless…. THANK YOU everyone who has made this trip possible for me. Your thoughts, prayers, and contributions have meant more than the world to me and I will forever be grateful. God is good…. All the time. ===


God IS good...all the time! Prayers for safe travels home!

Fighting for those with No Voice,

Bethany and Regina


4 comments:

  1. You guys cease to amaze me with all that you have done. Hearing little Allie's story along with every body else's has really touched me and has made me open my eyes to what is really happening in the world. I can't wait to hear about it all when you get back.

    Rest well tonight,
    Abigail Yann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina,
    When I wrote a letter to you before you left, I had no idea the depth of what God had planned for you. In listening to your experiences my life has been touched a world away. Our God is an amazing God indeed. Safe travels and God's blessings!!
    Judy Coursey

    ReplyDelete
  3. more tears........more profound pride.....you my dear daughter are changing lives and you are changing mine. I cannot wait to experience this with you next time.

    Travel safe. I love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regina,

    You inspire more people then you really can even imagine. You are truly a gift from God! I have no doubt that your life is changed but I hope you know that the children you have met this week have been affected more deeply then they have been before. You have a way to immediately make people comfortable and understand that they truly mean something! God is good and keep letting him speak through you because those are always the best words!

    Your stories are inspiring and wanted to thank you for your time. You have truly touched me!

    Bradley

    ReplyDelete